Social media is ever-changing – or should we say, ever-updating. Imagine, just when you got the sizes for uploading posts right, the social media platform you’re using changed their size profile, making your post pixelated!
As a marketer or social media enthusiast, the one thing you need to be aware of is sizes when uploading posts. Be it channels like Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn or even Google Ads; it’s important to be aware of optimum sizes so that your posts look perfect.
Sometimes, sizing information can be extremely difficult to find – that’s why we’ve made life easy for you and put together an update on the most optimum dimensions for your digital creatives in 2021.
Why is size important?
In the world of digital creatives, size matters most.
- Sizing helps in mitigating issues caused due to stretching and pixelation, and helps you make your feed look professional.
- If you want to increase engagement, your visual content needs to be optimized for every platform or channel it is being posted on.
- Incorrectly sized photos can lead to the photo being cut – leading to your audience and users only viewing parts of it. What if your posts have text or important visuals that get cut off?
- Knowing the correct social media dimensions can help you stay up to speed – each time there is a change in the sizing by the platform or channel you are using.
How can you fix sizing?
There are many tools available online to optimize your post’s dimensions and help you get the correct size for whichever platform. You can easily edit and resize photos and keep the resolution intact. However, not all tools prompt you on the sizing or are updated with the latest dimensions. Thus, it’s important to be self-aware.
Social Media Sizing Guide
Let’s look at the sizing and dimension details for some top used social media platforms.
Instagram image size
- Profile photo – Upload a large image since the profile photo is stored at 320 x 320 pixels.
- Feed photos – For your feed, the various dimensions are 1080 x 566 pixels (landscape); 1080 x 1350 (portrait); 1080 x 1080 (square).
- Stories – When uploading stories, the recommended size is 1080 x 1920 pixels.
- Thumbnail photos – While 161 x 161 is the display size, most marketers also recommend uploading 1080 pixels wide size photos.
- Carousel posts – 1080 x 566 pixels (landscape); 1080 x 1350 pixels (portrait); 1080 x 1080 pixels (square)
- IGTV posts – The optimized size is 1080 x 1920 pixels with an aspect ratio of 9:16, and 420 x 654 pixels for the cover photo.
- Instagram ads – 1080 x 566 pixels (landscape); 1080 x 1080 pixels (square). Use a minimum width of 320 pixels and maximum width of 1080 pixels.
- Stories ads – 1080 x 1920 pixels are the right size for uploading story ads.
- Profile photos – 170 x 170 pixels
- Cover photos – The recommended size is 851 x 315 pixels and the minimum size is 400 x 150 pixels. The desktop display is 820 x 312 pixels, and the smartphone display is 640 x 360 pixels.
- Posts and Timeline images – 1200 x 630 pixels with a minimum size of 600 x 315 pixels.
- Cover photos – Recommended at 1200 x 628 pixels.
- Panorama photos can be uploaded at any dimension with up to 30,000 pixels (less than 135,000,000 sizes).
- Stories – 1080 x 1920 pixels.
- Ads – 1080 x 1080 pixels for 1:1 aspect ratios, depending on the type of ad.
- Profile photo – 165 x 165 pixels
- Cover photo – 800 x 450 pixels
- Pins – 1000 x 1000 pixels
- Profile photo – 400 x 400 pixels
- Cover photo – 1584 x 396 pixels
- Blog post – 1200 x 627 pixels
- Links – 1200 x 627 pixels
- Stories with an aspect ratio of 9:16 to be at 1080 x 1920 pixels.
Tweets with visuals are known to have higher click rates.
- Profile photo – The recommended size for profile photo uploads on Twitter is 400 x 400 pixels (minimum image size is 200 x 200 pixels).
- Header photo – Recommended at 1500 x 500 pixels.
- In-stream photos – 1024 x 512 pixels being the recommended size, users can upload a minimum image size of 440 x 220 pixels.
- Card Image – 120 x 120 pixels.
- Fleet images – 1080 x 1920 pixels.
- Ads – With various advertising options, the minimum sizes for ads are as follows –
- Single and multi-image tweets – 600 x 335 pixels
- Carousels and Website card image – 800 x 418 pixels (1.91:1 aspect ratio) and 800 x 800 pixels (1:1 aspect ratio)
- Direct Message card and Conversation cards- 800 x 418 pixels (1.91:1 aspect ratio)
Google Ads size
- Banner – 480 x 60 pixels
- Leaderboard – 728 x 90 pixels
- Top Banner – 930 x 180 pixels
- Large leaderboard – 970 x 90 pixels
With flexibility to upload vertical, horizontal and square oriented photos through each of these platforms, stay updated with the right sizes to get your visuals across smartly.Tags: Ad size, Advertising, Creative dimension, Creatives, Digital Marketing, Dimensions, Facebook marketing, Graphic design Templates, Instagram marketing, Social Media, Twitter Marketing, YouTube Marketing